Ailing Astronaut Returns to Earth Early in NASA’s First Medical Evacuation
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Four astronauts returned to Earth early from the International Space Station on Thursday because of a serious medical condition affecting one crew member, marking NASA’s first medical evacuation from the orbiting outpost, officials said.
The crew undocked from the station late Wednesday and splashed down in a SpaceX Dragon capsule in the Pacific Ocean near San Diego less than 11 hours later, according to NASA. The astronauts underwent medical evaluations at a hospital overnight.
NASA astronauts Zena Cardman and Mike Fincke, along with Japan’s Kimiya Yui and Russia’s Oleg Platonov, made up the returning group, NASA reported. They had launched in August 2025 for a planned five-month mission but returned more than a month early.
“Obviously, we took this action because it was a serious medical condition,” NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said. “The astronaut in question is fine right now, in good spirits and going through the proper medical checks.”
The affected astronaut remained unnamed due to privacy concerns, Isaacman added. Officials described the crew member as stable in orbit but in need of Earth-based care.
The capsule splashed down in the early morning hours of Jan. 15, 2026, NASA confirmed. Recovery teams assisted the astronauts as they exited the spacecraft.
Fincke emerged first, smiling and wobbling slightly before lying on a gurney, according to live coverage from the scene. Cardman followed and said, “It’s so good to be home!” as reported by witnesses.
Yui and Platonov exited next, with all four waving and appearing in good spirits, officials said. Standard post-splashdown procedures included reclining cots and initial medical checks aboard the recovery ship.
The International Space Station now operates with a reduced crew of three: one NASA astronaut and two from Russia’s Roscosmos, according to NASA. This marks the smallest crew since the station’s continuous habitation began in 2000.
NASA and SpaceX plan to accelerate the launch of a replacement crew of four, originally scheduled for mid-February 2026, officials said. The agency aims to restore full staffing quickly to maintain operations.
This event represents the first medical evacuation in the ISS’s 25-year history, NASA records show. Previous health issues were handled in orbit through telemedicine or by extending missions, but none required an early crew return.
The mission, designated Crew-11, used a standard SpaceX Crew Dragon without modifications for the evacuation, according to SpaceX. Houston Mission Control monitored the undocking and reentry.
Yui reached a milestone of 300 days in space across multiple missions during this flight, JAXA reported. Fincke served as commander of the crew.
International partners including NASA, JAXA and Roscosmos coordinated the return, officials said. The operation highlighted ongoing U.S.-Russia cooperation despite geopolitical tensions.
Isaacman, who assumed the NASA administrator role as a billionaire with SpaceX ties, emphasized the decision’s focus on crew safety. He previously flew on the Polaris Dawn mission in 2024.
The evacuation underscores health risks in long-duration spaceflight, such as bone loss and radiation exposure, according to NASA studies. It also demonstrates reliance on commercial vehicles for rapid responses.
Future missions to the moon and Mars will lack evacuation options, prompting advancements in onboard medical capabilities, agency experts noted. The ISS serves as a testbed for such technologies.
No details on the specific medical condition were released, with officials citing privacy protocols. The affected astronaut’s long-term prognosis remains undisclosed.
Post-landing, the crew spent the night in a San Diego-area hospital for evaluations, NASA said. All four were expected to return to their home bases soon.
The undocking occurred around midnight Pacific time on Jan. 14-15, with splashdown before dawn on Jan. 15, according to mission timelines. The capsule followed a standard reentry path.
Recovery operations involved a ship equipped with medical personnel, as per standard protocol. No complications arose during the return, officials reported.
This incident aligns with NASA’s shift to commercial providers since the 2020 Demo-2 mission, SpaceX records indicate. It previews challenges for deeper space exploration under the Artemis program.
The station has hosted continuous crews since November 2000, with over 260 people from 20 countries visiting, NASA data shows. Medical evacuations were not previously needed.
Sources including the BBC and The Guardian provided live video of the splashdown and crew emergence. AP reporting confirmed consistency across multiple outlets.
NASA plans further updates on the replacement launch and ISS status in coming days, officials said. The agency continues to prioritize astronaut health in all operations.